The transfer of Xavi Simons from RB Leipzig to Tottenham Hotspur is on the home straight. The Bundesliga club is said to have reached an agreement in principle with Spurs, according to transfer expert Fabrizio Romano. However, according to dpa information, details of the transfer modalities still need to be clarified. According to the report, Tottenham are prepared to pay a transfer fee of 60 million euros.
The transfer is expected to be completed before the Bundesliga home opener this Saturday (3.30 pm/Sky) against 1. FC Heidenheim. RB head coach Ole Werner will therefore have to change his plans in midfield. And he has a contingency plan ready in case the Dutch international is transferred. "We have a clear idea," said Werner regarding the upcoming Simons transfer. But "the first stone has to fall first".
Elliott as a contingency plan
RB had already "brought in players with prospects in midfield and made one or two advances", emphasized Werner, adding: "Of course, we always look to see if we can strengthen the squad again."
The hottest candidate as Simons' successor would then be Harvey Elliott from Liverpool FC. The 22-year-old was personally molded at Anfield Road by global RB soccer boss Jürgen Klopp and could become the Saxons' new hopeful.
Copyright 2025, dpa (www.dpa.de). All rights reserved