In his search for a new club, professional footballer Niklas Kreuzer has noticed reservations due to his cancer. "It was the main topic in every conversation with every club. Are you still able to play? Are you still able to play competitive sport? And will you be your old self again?" said the 31-year-old on "Schwarz-Gelb, der Dynamo-Podcast" for the "Sächsische Zeitung" newspaper.
Fried sausage instead of fillet of beef
Kreuzer was diagnosed with testicular cancer in mid-August 2023. The defensive player overcame the disease and celebrated his comeback at the end of January at the then third-division club Hallescher FC. After being relegated to the Regionalliga, Kreuzer was without a club, received many rejections and only signed with SV Sandhausen on August 29.
Kreuzer had already suspected that the search for a new employer would be difficult. "I knew from the start that I wasn't the fillet of beef that everyone was fighting over. I was such a cheap sausage," said the son of former Bayern professional Oliver Kreuzer. "At some point I couldn't listen to it anymore, this mistrust in my physical abilities."