The party leaders of the Saxon Left Susanne Schaper and Stefan Hartmann want to step down from their joint office. "They will make their two offices as state chairpersons available at the state party conference in November," said Linke state managing director Lars Kleba. This was previously reported by Mitteldeutscher Rundfunk (MDR). According to the party, this decision is due to the disappointing election result of 4.5 percent in the last state election. Schaper was elected parliamentary group leader last week and Hartmann was elected deputy parliamentary group leader.
Clear appeal for a fresh start
With a view to the Bundestag elections in September 2025, Schaper and Hartmann warned: "Our situation is serious and we don't have much time to make a fresh start."
According to the party, a dual leadership is expected to be elected again at the state party conference on November 16 in Neukieritzsch (Leipzig district). The party did not want to comment on possible candidates for the time being. "We informed our members yesterday about the withdrawal of Ms. Schaper and Mr. Hartmann and are using the long weekend to sound out the situation," said Kleba.
Copyright 2024, dpa (www.dpa.de). All rights reserved