Saxony wants to revive disused railroad lines and has therefore commissioned an expert opinion. The Ministry of Transport is concerned with a total of 22 routes. "What must always be considered: The closed lines in Saxony were not shut down by the government or because there was too much traffic on them. But the special-purpose associations had the operation stopped because the demand of potential rail users was no longer given," said Transport Minister Martin Dulig (SPD) on Sunday. With the expert opinion one let examine whether an economic operation could be given also with view of a changed mobility behavior of humans again.
According to Dulig there are already first conclusions. Between the Ministry and the Nossen-Riesaer Eisenbahn-Compagnie GmbH had been concluded in the summer of 2021 a planning contract for the reactivation of the line from Döbeln to Meißen, which is currently being adapted.
Also in the routes from Marienberg to Pockau- Lengefeld and from Beucha via Brandis to Trebsen one sees potential. "For both routes, the analyses show sufficient passenger potential, moderate investment costs and subsidy requirements," it said. In the case of Marienberg, the investment costs would amount to 15 million euros, and 32 million euros for the line from Beucha.
Copyright 2023, dpa (www.dpa.de). All rights reserved